Mint Chocolate Energy Balls

Ah Monday, good thing it’s over! And after an emotionally draining weekend, it was nice to come home after work and annoy relax with some furry friends.

But I’m still feeling the stress of the last few weeks being tired, tense, and a little achy. The physical effects of stress are amazing, and annoying. Even though I was feeling tired, I was determined to get in a run tonight. I just needed a little energy pick-me-up first. Mint Chocolate Gu Energy Gels are one of my favorite energy flavors during half marathon training. But they’re pricey and contain an odd list of ingredients that I’m not 100% comfortable with. As I train for another half-marathon, I’m really going to experiment with adding more chia seeds to my diet since many runners claim they increase energy, hydration, and recovery. So why not a raw chia mint chocolate energy treat?

The dough is a little messy to roll with to the chia seeds, but oh so worth it.

The balls solidify and become more moist after being chilled in the fridge with the chia seeds absorbing the moisture.

Let’s just say my favorite pre-run/workout snack yet! The mint flavor is fresh and crisp with the chocolate and the texture is satisfyingly hearty. Now I’m not saying these are miracle balls, but I had three an hour before my run and I bested my usual time by 40 seconds per mile for my usual 3.2 mile weeknight run – not lying! It could have been the combination of these guys, a new playlist, and just blowing off stress, but I felt much better after too.

If you’re a runner or just looking for pre-workout energy, try these!

Related Posts:

Comments

1. says

These look fantastic!!

Dates, hemp seeds, chia seeds, cocoa powder…nice!

And then the mint…mmmm, good

Your photos of your pets are brilliant. So vibrant and sharp.

And these are your fave energy balls yet…or preworkout snack yet..I am sold :)

And soooo sorry about this super draining and stressful time you’re going thru. Oh and thank you for reminding me which macro lens you have. Got it. Finally, I have committed it to memory :)

• says

Thanks, I’ll probably be needing to snack on these a lot this week. :-)

Sure on the lens, it’s great for food shots and close ups.

2. says

i agree christine…..stress is terrible on my body too. some people are not quite as affected but i can relate. take it easy on yourself and rest…..

• says

And it was a great post, thanks for the info. These are awesome, had them for dessert again tonight and they were the perfect workout pick-me-up after a busy day.

3. says

Sorry I haven’t been commenting much; sometimes when I open your blog it crashes my window and then I can’t open it at all! So weird, but I’m trying to figure out what’s up with my computer.

anyhow, those look so tasty! I’m always afraid to use chai seeds though…heh. they kinda remind me of bugs for some reason. lol.

• says

Odd about your computer, I’m sorry. What browser are you using?

No need to be afraid of chia seeds, the little buggers are great! :-P

4. says

Nice! My dad is a runner and won’t eat well at all. He is a sucker for marketed sports things too. I’ve tried talking to him, but he chooses not to hear me….I’ll trythese out on him though and see what happens :) Glad your run helped you release some stress.

5. says

Came upon your site while searching for ideas of my own…..these sound great! I grew up in Sacramento and after a year back, our family moved again and we are now in Germany so, my ingredients are or, can be a little limited. I’m working on creating kid friendly energy balls. Low sugar, high protein, pareve & non dairy, & peanut free. My lab er…. kitchen will be open for business soon.

6. says

Hey there just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading properly. I’m not
    sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same results.

Trackbacks